Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Whenever I am sad or bored...I turn to MoM

I think that once you hit that point where you listen to Wrock more than any other type of music...you've become AWESOME!

I've just been sitting here on my computer, watching youtube videos, working on my book, and replaying Luke Conard's music video for his new Ministry of Magic song, "This Town." I tend to do that, replay things over and over, when I come across something I really like. I really like Wizard Rock.

I love Ministry of Magic the most, out of all Wrock groups, because not only do I love their style and the fact that their music has so much meaning to it, but they were also the first Wizard Rock band I came across. I was obsessed with ALL CAPS (Luke's nerd band with Kristina Horner, a member of The Parselmouths) first and that lead me to MoM. Now...I'm hooked.

I still listen to other music I love like One Republic, Justin Bieber (what are you gonna do about it huh?), etc.; but, out of all that music I own, I listen to MoM more. In fact the only music on my MP3 player right now (aside from a couple of Michael Buble songs, some ALL CAPS, and the soundtrack for How to Train Your Dragon) happens to be all the songs from Ministry of Magic and the song "Open at the Close" by Oliver Boyd and the Remembralls.

I know what you are thinking: "Man this freak is strange, I'm a gonna unfollows rights now." Well, first of all, you think in horrible grammar and, second of all, how was it you were following me in the first place? I've been open about my strange habits and nerdiness from the start. Well, follower's who thought the above, I have a different view of things. Sure, listening to Wrock brings you to a new level of Harry Potter nerd, but it is a good level. Wizard Rock has something to offer that's a little more rare in today's music world (with a few exceptions of course)...it means something.

Part of the reason I studied English, and part of the reason I am a writer, is because literature and other artistic mediums have a lot to offer. There are lessons for us about life and how it works woven into the pages of many many novels, Harry Potter just happens to be one of them. I would go into a huge long explanation of Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces and his study of the heroe's journey...but I'm lazy. Suffice it to say, there is a certain pattern to the journey that every hero goes through in stories from mythology as well as those written and lived today. The best example of the concept is, believe it or not, the Star Wars franchise (especially Luke's journey). George Lucas was a student of Joseph Campbell's and when he was challenged to write a story that followed the steps of the hero's journey perfectly, Star Wars was born.

Many other stories have taken this journey and Harry Potter does it just as well as Star Wars (which is why the two are so easy to compare).



So, because Harry Potter follows the journey, it has a lot to teach us about maturing and finding ourselves along with many other important messages about friendship, loyalty, power, responsibility, the list goes on and on (seriously it does, there are a lot of things to learn from those books).

This brings us back to the subject I started with, Wizard Rock. The best thing about Wrock is that the artists take those lessons that Harry Potter has to offer and puts them into a form that is easier to understand and easier to access...music. THAT is why Wizard Rock is amazing and THAT is why listening to it more than most other music out there makes you awesome...sorry... AWESOME!

So, in an effort to promote AWESOMEness, here is the song for you all to listen too. He did a pretty good job with the video too. He got that new Cannon 7d that I want so horribly bad (and yes that does work grammatically). This new song will be on the 4th Ministry of Magic album. Be excited!

Song: "This Town"
Artist: Ministry of Magic (duh, weren't you reading anything up there?)


Peace out nerdies!

1 comments:

Danielle said...

They are definitely talented, even if you're not into wizard rock. I really like their outfits too.

Stalk Me

About Me

My Photo
Breanna
I love to write and make movies, that is what I want to spend all day, every day, doing for the rest of my life
View my complete profile
Hi, I'm a bit of a nerd, are you? Good. Lets be friends.

Tweet about this blog to your other nerd friends and check out my youtube!

Subscribe to me on YouTube
Powered by Blogger.